Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 It's been a long haul
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oldengineer1949
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/14/2020 :  11:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pualani Nui rocked gently in her slip, her dock lines softly squeaking in time with the small swell of the marina waters. Suddenly, she heard familiar footsteps on the finger slip at her port side.

"Oh! It's you! SKIPPER! Aloha E! It's been so long! Are you OK? Why have you been away? I have missed you so much ... *sniff, sniff*

"Aww, baby boat! Now, no crying ..." Ole OldEngineer reached out with one gnarled hand, and grasping a safety line stanchion, slowly and carefully boarded his beloved Catalina.

"It's been a long haul, baby boat." Ole sighed, slowly settling down on a cockpit seat. "Old Man Cancer is a tough opponent, but we finally beat him, thanks to the Good Lord, lots of prayer and a superb cancer treatment medical staff and doctors. Of course, I'm a bit slower than I used to be, but with this new bimini I bought for you, the Admiral has no excuse to stay home. She can sail with us now, and I can sit back and "captain" from my favorite seat in your cockpit. *chuckle* "

"Awesome, skipper! Let's go sailing! Yee-haa!"

To all my fellow Catalina owners/lovers, it IS so good to be back on my boat. I still have some lingering physical challenges, but my wonderful Admiral wife (Mama B) has been a pillar of support throughout this latest medical episode in my life. I hope for many more years of boating, and posting on this fine website, and perhaps sharing a few more "sea stories" about my favorite talking boat, Pualani Nui.

Kind Regards to all y'all,

Ole and Mama B (Al and Bernadette Corson)

Al and Bernadette, "Pualani Nui", '82 C25 SR/SK, homeport MCB Quantico

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2020 :  13:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW ... that is GREAT news ... WELCOME BACK!!!

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4175 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2020 :  20:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is awesome news Al! So glad you are getting better. Getting back on the boat should help you mend even quicker.

God is good!

BTW... I'm in the market for a new bimini. May I ask where you purchased yours?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 09/14/2020 20:53:35
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4690 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2020 :  06:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic! Glad youíre back. Life is about hanging on no matter what comes, and you did it!
Now itís time to live, enjoy, to create more stories and experiences. Líchaim!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain ó Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1512 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2020 :  07:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brought a tear to my eye......

Never give up......

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

oldengineer1949
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2020 :  11:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To all, many thanks for the warm welcomes.

GaryB, you certainly may ask. I bought the bimini from Catalina Direct. I bought the large, stainless steel version, with blue Sunbrella fabric. It fits nicely on Pualani's genoa tracks, attached with adjustable cars. It was pricey, but I went for the stainless steel, in case some less-than-surefooted crew, or a rickety Captain (who, me?) grabbed hold to steady themselves. I am very pleased with the result.

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4175 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2020 :  11:36:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Al.

If you don't mind I have one more question. Do you have the Item # you ordered or better yet the height if it?

Thanks in advance!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
8638 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2020 :  13:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice upgrade, and welcome back to the water!! Are you set with everything led to the cockpit and roller furling?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, ex-USCG-OUPV
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.
Go to Top of Page

oldengineer1949
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2020 :  11:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For GaryB: The Catalina Direct part number is Z2487, and I ordered their genoa track cars, since Pualani has full-length genoa tracks. It took a bit of "Southern Engineering" to get the poles past Pu's safety lines, but the poles matched up well to the car pivot points. The only drilling necessary was for four holddown strap points. Easy-peasy, drill, goop with caulking, insert screws, tighten. With the cars, the bimini can be adjusted fore or aft, to facilitate protecting the Admiral's delicate skin (got my priorities straight here).

For Stinkpotter: Geez, Dave, what a buzzkill! Seriously, good catch. My young crew (17 and 14) are very agile (the Admiral, not so much *grin*), But Daisy and Kane can still go forward to raise sail, but ultimately, running all halyards and sheets aft make good sense. Right now, Pu's jib and genikker are hank-on, so a roller-furl solution has to be a future budget item. Right now, a full rebuild of Pu's sorry-ass leaky port lights is first on the repair agenda.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
8638 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2020 :  06:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al: Roller furling changes your life! My late wife and I often did our evening "sails to nowhere" on the genny alone because we could "pull one string and be sailing--pull another and be done!" No hanking on, hooking up, hauling down, unhooking, unhanking, folding, bagging, or (in that case) even messing with the mains'l cover. (And then there's no reason to lead the jib halyard back.) And no need for deck monkeys to go sailing!

In dicier conditions, it eliminates scrambling onto the foredeck or dealing with a doused sail that wants to climb back up the forestay...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, ex-USCG-OUPV
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/17/2020 06:20:05
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4175 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2020 :  20:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Al: Roller furling changes your life! My late wife and I often did our evening "sails to nowhere" on the genny alone because we could "pull one string and be sailing--pull another and be done!" No hanking on, hooking up, hauling down, unhooking, unhanking, folding, bagging, or (in that case) even messing with the mains'l cover. (And then there's no reason to lead the jib halyard back.) And no need for deck monkeys to go sailing!

In dicier conditions, it eliminates scrambling onto the foredeck or dealing with a doused sail that wants to climb back up the forestay...

Agree with Dave 100% on all that he mentioned above!! By far this has been the most important improvement I've made to Andiamo. It makes sailing a lot more fun for me.

It almost makes the C25 into a Stinkpotter!

Since the C25 is mostly headsail driven I don't remember the last time I used my main. It's so much easier to just get on the boat, start the motor, release the lines, motor out, pull one line as Dave mentioned and be sailing.

Coming in start the motor, pull the furling line, motor in, tie up, get off the boat and go home.

Highly recommend doing this upgrade as soon as finances allow.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

wm36
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
47 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2020 :  19:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Al, welcome back! We bought our C250 the year after I completed similar treatment. It's so refreshing to get out on the water, even if there is not enough wind for the sails and we just motor for an hour. Great therapy!

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page