Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Bow pulpit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mohiggy
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/12/2020 :  20:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need a bow pulpit. Anyone have one for sale near Charlotte NC?

Or, if you know of someone near Charlote that can fix (weld?) mine pls let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC

Edited by - Mohiggy on 07/15/2020 20:08:49

Mohiggy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2020 :  19:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update - A friend of mine knew a welder who was willing to take a look. He ended up welding the repair and did a great job. Canít even notice unless you are looking for it. Hopefully all the screw holes will still line up and I wonít have to patch and drill new holes on the deck. Will post some pics after I get it back on the boat.

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC

Edited by - Mohiggy on 08/26/2020 19:24:26
Go to Top of Page

Mohiggy
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2020 :  18:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reinstalled my repaired bow pulpit this weekend. The guy did a great job with the weld. He used a "sleeve" which was basically a smaller piece of tubing that fit inside what you see. He cut out the bent section and then cut a new piece of straight stainless steel tubing, that slipped over the sleeve. The end result is a repair that is stronger than the original.
The only glitch in the process was my fault. When I removed the bow rail I wanted to be able to easily fish the wire for the nav light back up through the tubing. I first thought I'd use some 60# test fishing leader but then decided that I'd use a length of heavy duty string from my weed whacker because it would be flexible enough to get around the sharp bends but sturdy enough not to break. Unfortunately I forgot that welding creates heat... which melted the trimmer line. Do your worst - I deserve whatever I get - that was boneheaded! In any case, I ended up using the fishing line and a small sinker to pull the line through, then pulled some of trimmer line through, then tied if off to the wires and pull those through. Put butyl tape on the screws before I set the pulpit in place. It's a two person job so I had my first mate in the v-berth with a socket wrench while I stayed on deck holding the screws in place.

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2020 :  09:19:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a c-22 brand new factory wrapped catalina bow pulpit.

I forget how to post pictures here.

Edited by - vdotmatrix on 09/26/2020 09:21:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page