Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Fall sailing and season’s end
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4134 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/30/2018 :  08:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I had only a short window of time to sail between Saturday morning errands and an early evening reunion of friends. I’d read weather reports of sunny 70°s and 5-7 kt winds and wasn’t expecting much.

When I got out on the water, the wind gods of autumn kicked it up to 12 (kts that is) providing perfect C25 (IMHO) conditions.

No reef and full 135 genoa I pointed Passage to 50° apparent wind on a starboard tack and briskly sailed out of the harbor and out into the Sound for one and a half hours. Along the way with 10+ miles visibility, I saw all manner of sailors, anglers, workboats, barges and passagemakers out there as conditions were just ideal for all of us. Then I reversed tack and sailed back at 5+ kts the entire way. Boat was heeling 15° and sometimes 20° in puffs. Exhilarating!!!

On my way back to the dock I noticed a few maples showing their reds, purples and oranges. I saw the golden marsh grasses that just a few weeks ago were verdant green. There were swallows wheeling overhead to feast on marsh bugs and seeds to bulk up before they get on their way south for winter. And while the shorter days are still mild, we know that in just weeks, the puddles will crackle with ice on frosty mornings.

With four to five weekends remaining there are still untold sailing adventures ahead, but time is short between honeydews and work. I’m looking forward to next weekend’s Columbus Day holiday (personal day for me) to provide a three day weekend.

As I do every year around the cross quarter days of spring and fall, I’m now preparing for my date to transit from Milford Harbor to Shelton Boatyards sailing Passage up the lazy Housatonic River through now vacant marinas and mooring fields, under a 100 year old railway drawbridge and past the empty cottages on one of the last Indian Summer days in early November.

The foliage is always beautiful with golden birches and leathery-brown oak leaves. And yet again we put another sailing season in the the history books. It’ll be time to prepare the boat for another dormant season while visions of new projects over the winter and in the coming April are conceived ...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain Stratford & Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 09/30/2018 08:43:03

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3355 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2018 :  08:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wish you had sent some of that breeze my way. I was on the boat from 10 to 4pm, Not a wisper. They even called off the little guys races. Nice day for kayaks.Ended up motoring around and having lunch out on the water. So calm I didn't even anchor, Just floated.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound



Edited by - islander on 09/30/2018 09:01:41
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

734 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2018 :  12:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's fine writing, Bruce! It's fascinating to learn about sailors' activities and maritime conditions in other areas.



Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
http://whichsailboat.com/2015/08/22/catalina-22-review/
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1436 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2018 :  13:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What IS this fall sailing you are talking about............

We had a record high yesterday of 97 degrees.........

Might see some lower temps around Thanksgiving, maybe.......





Davy J


2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
7995 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2018 :  14:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarge just sat in her slip Saturday and today, wondering where the old guy is! (Answer: Out of town, thinking about her.) Maybe Monday... The days are ticking away! In a few weeks I'll try to get a photo of the historic whaler Charles W. Morgan and/or the beautiful schooner Brilliant with a background of colorful maples and oaks at the Mystic Seaport. It doesn't get any prettier than that!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, ex-OUPV
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4134 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2018 :  18:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Dave, it’s one and a half days’s sail for me to get to Mystic (or 1:20 in the car). Sounds like this weekend’s weather in CT is going to cooperate. Would be great see the Morgan and Brilliant up close and personal...

And DavyJ, you all get even around the end of November. We start freezing our nibs off while the weather cools into the middle 70s and low 80s in FLA.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain Stratford & Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
7995 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2018 :  19:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

You know Dave, it’s one and a half days’s sail for me to get to Mystic (or 1:20 in the car). Sounds like this weekend’s weather in CT is going to cooperate. Would be great see the Morgan and Brilliant up close and personal...
The week looks good--e-mail me (I won't post my cell# here)--after all, I'm a "Port Captain". I'll be around through this Saturday--gone Sunday. Water tours are free, and I can take one person into the Seaport for free (and others by discount).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, ex-OUPV
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/30/2018 19:26:05
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
749 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2018 :  05:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel for you guys in the north when its time to store the boats. In my youth I lived north of Chicago on Lake Michigan and went through the same thing-that was a long time ago. About this time of year I start thinking about taking the 150 off the furler and putting the 110 on for the stronger winds through the winter and spring.
Yesterday was almost a perfect sailing day around here. I ended up crewing on a Catalina 22 in a race. We got lucky and won the race. There should be many great days for sailing in the near future. That helps make up for suffering through the 100 degree days this summer.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth



Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4134 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2018 :  10:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave, the honeydews took over today so won’t be heading to Mystic today. Hopeful the weather will stay mild for a few more weeks.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain Stratford & Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4134 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2018 :  08:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Friday I took half a day and sailed about 15-20 miles in brisk 12 kt northeast breezes. Again at a heading of 60° to apparent wind, the boat held 5.2 knots. The local chop was less than 1 foot, however I noted a very long period easterly swell apparently from a storm way out in the Atlantic. The air was cool, around 68° but the sun was warm. Today’s weather is due to be almost 80° with summer like conditions. I’ll take whatever I can get in October.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain Stratford & Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 10/07/2018 08:09:06
Go to Top of Page

keats
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
66 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2018 :  12:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally have Fall weather in the Gold Country of California. Went out for about 4 hours yesterday with temps in the mid to high 70's. Expected winds of 10-12 kts but didn't quite get that so we made the right call with a 130, pushed us at 3-5 kts most of the time and we had a chance to use the whisker pole.

The fires are out and the air is clean. Had a nice relaxing sail and saw three bald eagles as well.





Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4134 Posts

Response Posted - 11/08/2018 :  21:14:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wednesday afternoon was about 67° and this afternoon hit 63°. I was not able to go out but I took calls and did emails from Passage today. Very pleasant at the dock.

I plan on transiting Passage from Milford Harbor to Shelton’s Beacon Point Marine for my winter haul out this Saturday. Talk about frost-biting, as the weather will be sunny and breezy, with temps in the 50°s. Wind chill may be significant.

I’ll be wearing my Underarmor, fleece, neck gaitor, wool socks, fleece gloves, knit hat and windbreaker outer shell. Mid-next week we’ll be in the mid 40°s so I’ll be moving at the last possible moment.

Of course, we should have one or two more warm spells before December. That’s when I’ll miss having Passage on the slip.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain Stratford & Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 11/08/2018 21:15:53
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3355 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2018 :  08:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm......

TonightSE winds 20 to 25 kt, becoming SW 15 to 20 kt after midnight. Gusts up to 35 kt. Seas 2 to 4 ft. Chance of tstms. Rain. Vsby 1 to 3 nm.
SatW winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 35 kt. Seas 4 to 6 ft.
Sat NightW winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts up to 35 kt. Seas 4 to 6 ft.
SunW winds 15 to 20 kt. Gusts up to 30 kt in the morning. Seas 2 to 4 ft.
..GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 1 AM EST
SUNDAY...


The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a Gale Warning,
which is in effect from 4 PM this afternoon to 1 AM EST Sunday. WINDS AND SEAS...East winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts up to 35 kt
today into tonight. Winds becoming west 15 to 25 kt with gusts
up to 40 kt and seas increasing to 3 to 6 feet across the
eastern Long Island Sound for Saturday into Saturday night.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound



Edited by - islander on 11/09/2018 08:27:50
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
7995 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2018 :  12:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

I plan on transiting Passage from Milford Harbor to Shelton’s Beacon Point Marine for my winter haul out this Saturday.

NOAA - Western Long Island Sound: Gale warnings from Saturday morning though Saturday evening... W winds 15 to 20 kt, increasing to 20 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Gusts up to 35 kt. Seas 3 to 4 ft.

A wet, lumpy westward ride to the Housatonic River!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, ex-OUPV
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4134 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2018 :  22:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not only lumpy, but wet! Spray will be everywhere. I’ve got my foulies already. Once we’re on the river we should be fine.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain Stratford & Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4134 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2018 :  14:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So my buddy and I headed out today. We wore Underarmor tops and bottoms, fleece over the top and nylon insulated windbreaker pants. We had foulies with hoods, wool stocking hats and neck gaiters. Waterproof gloves.

We hopped into the boat and warmed up the engine. Wind was brisk in the harbor, but no big deal.

We ventured out of the harbor past the breakwater. This put us into a 2 mile-wide bay and waves were moderate. Occasionally we’d get a splash and spray but it was minor.

As we proceeded out winds were 20-25 kts with frequent 35 kt gusts. Each time they hit we got heeled to 15 and 20°. The prop came out of the water and we lost headway. Since the wind was on our beam I tried to turn upwind to see what kind of forward progress we could make.

Between gusts and the prop out of the water, we could not turn up into the wind. We got drenched in the next spray and heeled to 20°. With 2.5 miles to go upwind before we reached the river, we both knew it would be a slow go. Maybe an hour. That would be pretty miserable.

So we bagged the trip. There’s always next time...

All along, I realized that moving Passage on Saturday, on Sunday or even next weekend was not an imperative. We’re still getting bright days in the 50s and 60°s, so what’s the rush? Even before we went out I reckoned “never let the clock or the calendar put you, your crew or the boat at risk”. There is still plenty of time before the harbor freezes up solid.



Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain Stratford & Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 11/10/2018 14:50:14
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3355 Posts

Response Posted - 11/10/2018 :  15:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very relieved. Why take the risk. Imagine if the engine died. Never want to be "that guy" Good choice on live to fight another day.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound


Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
7995 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2018 :  11:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today (Sunday) looks wonderful out there--light NW (pretty much off-shore) starting to pick up a little...

Passage has been through it before--our initial "delivery" cruise in May '01 from Mystic to Darien ended in 30+ NW winds that had been blowing since the afternoon before when we left Black Rock Harbor in the morning, motoring west, with a little break from the four-footers when we got into the lee of the Norwalk Islands. When we arrived in Darien, the marine police were astonished (and maybe a little irritated) we'd been out there! (I was impressed my wife would sail with me again after that!) The water was being blown out of Long Island Sound to the point where most of the Boat Club docks were sitting on mud--we ran aground trying to get in there. I've never seen it like that since.

Sarge had an easy trip down the Mystic River Thursday to the marina where she'll be lifted out, and traded "See you next spring" with the bridge operators. It's over till then.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, ex-OUPV
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/11/2018 11:28:52
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4134 Posts

Response Posted - 11/11/2018 :  14:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was chilly but much more pleasant than yesterday. I wore my thermals (tops and bottoms), thermal socks, fleece top, neck gaiter, wool cap and nylon “windbreaker“ outerwear. I have fleece gloves that provide a good combination of warmth without sacrificing tactile feel.
I got off the dock in Milford around 9:30AM and motored out into the bay where I raised the reefed sails. NW winds were about 8-10 kts in lulls but blew up to 15-20 kts in gusts. I sailed in the lulls and turned upwind in gusts. I made about 4.5 kts over the 3 nm stretch of Long Island Sound.
Once I got to the Housatonic River, I caught the tidal current upriver. My paddle wheel speedo measured 3 kts but my speed over ground was about 6.5kts. I got to the RR drawbridge exactly on time for my reservation: 12:00 noon. The bridge tender surprised me as it took only a few minutes to allow the Amtrak and local RR go by, then they gave me an opening.
From there, it warmed up considerably and the gusty winds cut out. With the challenges behind me, I relaxed and let the boat slide upriver and arrived at the Shelton Marina around 1:30 and found an empty slip. I tied the spring and docklines and now she’s waiting for the travel lift to take her out, power wash the bottom and set her on the jackstands out in the yard.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain Stratford & Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06
Notice: The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ.
The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.