Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Harbor silting in AGAIN!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4690 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/02/2020 :  09:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Milford CT is blessed with a fine harbor, a New England town green and a small barrier island about 1 mile offshore. We have a salt pond nearby that floods and drains with the tides where clammers and anglers can always spend a few hours.

The mouth of the harbor has two breakwaters to protect the boats in the inner harbor from the waves and weather of the Gulf. Between the two is a ~200 ft wide channel at the mouth.

A few years ago, a good friend who was on the Harbor Commission managed to convince the town, the state Dept of Environmental Protection and the Army Corp that the mouth of the harbor and the channel out to the deeper LISound needed to be dredged. He has since passed on.

The dredging process is not simple since they need to check the sand for contaminants and need a suitable place to restore an eroded beach nearby with the dredged tailings sand. He pulled it off and following the 2017 dredge, the harbor depth was now at 12 ft at LLW and the mouth and channel weíre cleared out to about.75 miles offshore to 12 ft waters.

Last year the city did a pond restoration project upstream of the harbor. While I cannot say that one thing caused another, now the silt is building up again right in the channel at the mouth.

One side of the channel that gets the current is still 12 ft, but the other side in the eddy (RED RIGHT RETURNING) and it measures less than 6 ft.

Many sailors with larger boats and 6ft drafts use Milford harbor for an overnight, a lunch spot or the fuel docks. We hear reports of groundings several times a week, and this weekend will be very busy.

Iíve written the Harbor Commission and theyíre aware as well as the CT DEEP boating unit, but without my friend to make it happen, the harbor will probably worsen Iíve let the USCG know so they can include a warning on their daily VHF Reports to Mariners.

Iíd volunteer for a position on the Commission however I donít meet the residency requirement. I live one town over.

My boat with a 4ft draft is still fine but Iím concerned about the many visitors who will bottom out. Luckily itís mud and not stone but that can really ruin your day. Maybe next season itíll get even worse.

Coords are approximately N41į13í W073į03í

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain ó Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 07/02/2020 11:27:26

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3795 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2020 :  13:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately having visitors ground out is exactly what you need. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. It will start drawing attention to the problem.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4690 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2020 :  17:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Scott, many Milfordís visitors hale from Pt Jeff, Mt Sinai, St. James and Northport/Huntington (Long Island).
Milford is a five-six hour sail from most of these places while itís a 20 minute run for stinkpotters.
This weekend the Milford City marina was PACKED (32 slips), with a huge waiting list.
Low tide was at 5:15PM today with low water running at -0.5 ft. Ouch!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain ó Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 07/04/2020 17:14:05
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
8638 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2020 :  09:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Navionics on-line chart I'm looking at shows only 5' for most of the channel going in, changing to 4' before you get to the town marina. At least it looks like the on-line chart is pretty up-to-date, but a lot of people's Garmins might still show 12'.

I also see a day-mark "10" that appears to be in the middle of about 2' of water just inside the entrance. (RRR) Really?? Might that be a source of many of the groundings? ("Just stay left of the red mark... Wait a minute--what's that red nun over there?? Why are we stopping??")

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, ex-USCG-OUPV
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page